Saturday, January 2, 2010

"Everybody's Shot"

There's a scene in "Black Hawk Down" that contains some dialogue that really has a much deeper application. In the scene, the U.S. Army Ranger colonel is in charge of a small convoy of humvees trying to make its way back to base under heavy gun and rocket fire. The colonel stops the convoy, takes in some wounded, tears a dead driver out of a driver's seat, and barks at a bleeding sergeant who's standing in shock nearby:

Colonel: Get into that truck and drive.
Sergeant: But I'm shot, Colonel.
Colonel: Everybody's shot, get in and drive.
"Everybody's shot."

I think all of us are high maintenance these days. We all have "needs." We all have "unmet expectations." The problem I see is that we are very sensitive but not towards each other. Why? I think it's selfishness. I certainly experience it. I want things my way. This is sin. No matter which way you look at it, it is sin.
It seems like so many people have a chip on their shoulder and are daring anyone to knock it off. People want to be a "victim." Are they in that much need of attention that they'll allow themselves to be that absorbed in their own life that they will ignore the needs of others? I'll admit that I have. Consider what Paul predicts in 2 Tim 3: 1-5...
1But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

Ouch

The lesson that I've learned is that God has commanded us to esteem others higher than ourselves. Jesus wants us to "other-oriented." So, check your baggage at the door. Look at others first and meet their needs.

Everybody's shot. Get over it and focus on someone else.
Or to put it another way. "You're unique. Just like everybody else"

5 comments:

Jason said...

We're called to be Christlike, and He put everyone else before Himself when He died for our sins.

I know I'm just restating what you've already said, but sometimes that helps me grasp things better.

I really like this blog, Mr. Will.

Unknown said...

As usual, you know how to take dialogue and make it apply to our sinful spiritual condition. Sometimes we all need to be reminded that WE'RE SHOT!!!

Unknown said...

But not only that, but that we need to get over it. And look around at the other people who are shot!

andrew said...

sweet blog Dad. love that quote. and a good reminder that its really not my world with people living in it.

Steve Presswood said...

Super thoughts. "I die daily," must be the thought that steels our souls as we live for others even as our Master did. And one of the "others" for whom He lived was me.