Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We buried mom yesterday


It's kind of like eating sweet & sour pork. It was sad to see her go but joyful to know she's with her Father in Heaven. As much as I wanted to be in control of my emotions, they won and so it was a rollercoaster ride all day. I was exhausted. Dad must truly be tired. We've worked hard to make sure he is getting rest but all the people at the house yesterday kept his adrenaline pumping. He'll crash very soon and it'll be good for him. Dana and I reflected on the whole process of funerals, burying, etc. and both feel like there has to be a better way. Strictly looking at it from Dad's perspective, he had been at mom's side day and night for weeks. The emotional rollercoaster he was on had to be incredible. Then after all that, spend many hours at a funeral home entertaining guests. I know it was great to see old friends but he was so tired. I don't know what the better way is yet but I started asking questions about why we do some of the things we do at funerals and cemeteries. I'll have to get back to this. Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Just A Girl said...

Ever since my mama died, I have sworn that I will never allow the same thing to happen again. Asking a grieving family to entertain a lot of people in the middle of a family reunion is detestable. Did I mention I have strong feelings in this area (and any other area as well)? Gay Nan told me about your mom and I was so sad to hear that news. I hope that you all are OK. Can't wait to go Home and see your mom and mine. : >